On this episode of the Plan Simple Meals Podcast, I’m really excited to talk with Emily Kristofferson, who I met through Facebook years ago because she was talking a lot about farmer’s markets and healthy cooking. But she’s also an online business coach, marketing strategist and and execution expert, and we eventually worked together. She’s also the mom to a 10-year-old.
Since Emily and I first met over food, we started talking about that, and Emily says cooking is one of her hobbies. She talks about different ways she incorporates cooking with her son, from having him do the math to half recipes to practicing his printing by writing the grocery list. And she tells us about having a different kind of picky eater.
Emily started her business to be there for her son and do what she loves, which may sound familiar to many mom entrepreneurs. But work quickly took over until she did some boundary work.
We talk about:
- Why boundaries are essential to balance
- Finding little ways throughout the day to take care of ourselves
- Creating an ideal weekly calendar and moving yourself toward it
- How taking time off helps us get good ideas and improves energy and focus
- Exchanging time to give ourselves what we want
- Setting up time each week for work, yourself, even getting groceries
Emily Kristofferson is an online business coach, marketing strategist, and expert making your ideas a reality. She helps passionate entrepreneurs cut through all the business-building information they’ve been hoarding to create a personalized strategy to grow their business, now. Her clients have had multiple five figure launches, grown their businesses to five figures a month, landed a 5-part series on TV, and finally made the switch from hobby to profitable businesses. When she’s not coaching and consulting, you can find her taking my son for a swim, experimenting with healthy recipes, or cooing at her cats,
- Spiralizer (https://www.amazon.com/Spiralizer-Vegetable-Strongest-Heaviest-Gluten-Free/dp/B00GRIR87M)
- Plan Simple Meals with Kim John Payne
Doable Changes from this episode:
- TAKE 5 MINUTES FOR YOU. Start by giving yourself 5 minutes of pleasure in your day. It could be taking your lunch out into the sun instead of eating hunched over your desk or talking 5 minutes to breathe in between tasks. Enjoy a cup of tea in the afternoon instead of letting it grow cold or talk your dog for a walk. Get used to making little space for things that give you joy in your day.
- SET UP YOUR IDEAL WEEK. We can do so much if we plan for it. What are the important pieces that you want to be part of your life every week? Scheduling work all the time isn’t sustainable, so schedule in some down time. Schedule in time for grocery shopping and meal planning and cooking. When will you take care of house needs and scheduling appointments? Set up your ideal. Try to live it. And don’t beat yourself up if you don’t do it perfectly. Just move yourself closer to that ideal.
- GET AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER. An accountability partner can help you move toward your goals, get past stuck points and just be there for support. We all need that. Choose somebody who gets your life. Emily picked a friend who got the online business space. If you are looking for support in healthy living goals, pick somebody who will support you in where you want to go.
REALLY getting healthy as a family can be a big lifestyle change. But no matter how insurmountable it may feel, focusing on one doable change at a time can help you take small steps toward your big goal.
A healthy lifestyle is really made of lots of little things that when repeated regularly and added together over time make a huge impact on your life.
Choose one Doable Change every Sunday night — one thing that you are willing to play with for the week. The key is to keep it doable and fun! Write that thing on a sticky note or your phone so you remember it. Then put 3 things on your calendar that support it.
Choose from the changes above or download a list of 101 Doable Changes we made for you.
Join the Conversation
Listen & Read
We create shownotes for every episode, so you can easily skim content, get the resources, and download free printables.
Rate & Review
I try not to ask for much… but the more reviews we have, the more women can find us on iTunes. We have big goals of reaching one millions moms!!!! And we may even read your review on air…