- Vanessa Gobes
On this episode of the Plan Simple Meals Podcast, I’m really excited to talk with Vanessa Gobes, co-founder of The Chrysalis Center, about transformation. We talk about the huge transformations she made in her own life and why she started the Chrysalis Center.
We talk about meditation as a tool that can change your brain (and your life), but only if you are ready. If you aren’t ready to give up the stories that aren’t serving you, if you can’t let go of your own bullshit, then this practice won’t help. But if you ready to change, it’s a powerful tool.
Another strategy Vanessa offers is being with what is. She talks about being in the mud, and how if we get curious and explore that feeling of not wanting to be in the mud, we can come to a greater understanding. We tend to want to fight against being in the mud, but we can learn so much and change in good ways if we can be in those tough situations.
We talk about:
- Stripping out what doesn’t serve you and following joy
- Different ways to practice meditation and why 10 minutes a day can change you
- How chakras fit in with meditation
- Trusting that things will work out and that we will have what we need when times are hard
- Cultivating relationships with people we can turn to when we need them
- Setting yourself up for success with the right transitions—in meditation and life
Vanessa Gobes coaches women and men through the darkest parts of parenthood (and life) with humor and humility, demonstrating that even the worst challenges can be viable paths to healing, insight and joy when approached with curiosity. Since co-founding Chrysalis in 2015, her teachings have stretched beyond mindfulness, exploring how spirit can be more readily accessed through insight practices. Vanessa is a happily unmarried mother of several and author of the upcoming perscriptive memoir “Metta Mom: A Mindful Guide to Managing Your Mood & Your Brood,” represented by Corvisiero Agency NYC.
- Chrysalis Center
- Insight Timer meditation app
- Podcast: Dance to Dinner with Denise Costello
- Podast: Living in Your Box with Sarah Jenks
Doable Changes from this episode:
- PLAN TIME FOR TRANSITIONS. Whether you are meditating, getting dinner on the table, or trying to get your kids out the door, leaving enough time for transitions sets you up for success. Before you start to meditate, simply observe your surroundings. Give your kids notice that they need to get ready (if you know it takes them 20 minutes to put shoes on, start them on that early). When you schedule things on your calendar, be realistic about transitions.
- MEDITATE. Even 10 minutes a day can make a huge difference. Check out the brief meditation Vanessa did with us in this show, or use an app like Insight Timer to help you develop a practice. I like to meditate first thing in the morning, but find the time that works for you and write it in your calendar.
- GET CURIOUS ABOUT DISCOMFORT. We will all be in situations that are uncomfortable. Instead of fighting against them, try just getting really curious about how it really feels, what we don’t like about it. We can choose to change, but first we need to see where we are.
REALLY getting healthy as a family can be a big lifestyle change. But no matter how insurmountable it may feel, focusing on one doable change at a time can help you take small steps toward your big goal.
A healthy lifestyle is really made of lots of little things that when repeated regularly and added together over time make a huge impact on your life.
Choose one Doable Change every Sunday night — one thing that you are willing to play with for the week. The key is to keep it doable and fun! Write that thing on a sticky note or your phone so you remember it. Then put 3 things on your calendar that support it.
Choose from the changes above or download a list of 101 Doable Changes we made for you.
If you are as psyched as I am to grow veggies on a patio this summer and indoors all winter, you are going to want to check this out! I have watched friends have these for years, and am so excited to have my own! (Psssst… There are amazing curriculums that have been created by the company, to make these a no brainer for schools too!) Read more here, or contact, firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more, and set up a free 20 minute phone Q and A.
Join the Conversation
Listen & Read
We create shownotes for every episode, so you can easily skim content, get the resources, and download free printables.
Rate & Review
I try not to ask for much… but the more reviews we have, the more women can find us on iTunes. We have big goals of reaching one millions moms!!!! And we may even read your review on air…