On this episode of the Plan Simple Meals Podcast, I’m super excited to talk with Shereen Thor, the founder of Awaken the Rebel, a movement to get people to stop living the life they think they are supposed to live and to design their life on their own terms. She’s a mom of two in the midst of the baby years.
Shereen started out living toward other people’s expectations until a friend convinced her to go to a personal development seminar. It woke her up and changed her life. She quit her job, started doing stand up comedy, and started dabbling as an entrepreneur.
She started her life coaching business Awaken the Rebel about the same time she started her family. When her second pregnancy was in danger, she went on bed rest and moved from “Oh, motherhood needs to fit into my business” to , it’s “My business needs to fit into motherhood.” We’ve been talking about work-life balance a lot, and here is where Shereen started to feel hers.
We talk about:
- tapping into your body to find the direction you are supposed to go
- getting really clear on your intention and committing to yourself, even when you don’t understand why you are doing it
- asking what you need as a mom instead of thinking you should be a certain kind of mom
- a weekly flow that includes family time, mama self-care time, household needs, and work
- having a place for an idea dump
- how date night makes being a family and couple more fun
Shereen Thor is a host, author, rebel, movement starter, and serial artistpreneur who lives life on her terms and helps others do the same. She facilitates live events and retreats and does 1-1 coaching as part of leading a movement that helps people stop settling for less and live an extraordinary life by their design. She’s also the mom to two young kids.
Doable Changes from this episode:
- CREATE A WEEKLY WORKFLOW. Shereen talks about having family weekends, Mama Mondays, house-focus Tuesdays, open day on Wednesdays, and work-focused Thursdays. Your week might look really different, but what would it look like if you created your own flow for the week. Think about family time, work time, home time—how can you make space or it all? Map it out on paper and then live with it or a while to see how it works.
- CREATE AN IDEA DUMP. We all have so many ideas—new offerings for our business, people we want to connect with, things to pick up at the store—that our brains get cluttered. When we put it down on paper (or at least in our phones), we don’t have to worry about remembering it. At the same time we don’t have to deal with it right then. So if you get a business idea while you’re doing family time, jot it down and focus back on the moment.
- DO DATE NIGHT. Ideally, date night becomes part of your regular weekly flow, but start with planning one. As Shereen says, it’s more fun to have a family, more fun to be part of a couple when you have date night. Date night changes the communication and flow of energy, so you enjoy being together instead of just running through logistics together.
REALLY getting healthy as a family can be a big lifestyle change. But no matter how insurmountable it may feel, focusing on one doable change at a time can help you take small steps toward your big goal.
A healthy lifestyle is really made of lots of little things that when repeated regularly and added together over time make a huge impact on your life.
Choose one Doable Change every Sunday night — one thing that you are willing to play with for the week. The key is to keep it doable and fun! Write that thing on a sticky note or your phone so you remember it. Then put 3 things on your calendar that support it.
Choose from the changes above or download a list of 101 Doable Changes we made for you.