I have a dip that started as Naomi Shannon’s Sunflower Seed Pâté a few years back, but has become what I now call Cilantro Caviar. My daughter calls it the “other hummus” and eats it with Cucumbers, Carrots and Rice Crackers quite frequently for lunch. It is a staple that I make many Sundays to eat during a busy week. It is the dip that never fails me at parties. I hope you enjoy it too!
It is wonderful for dipping veggies, but it is also very good wrapped in collard leaves. I grew up in New Orleans where collards are cooked for hours, so I was so surprised when I realized how fabulous they are as raw and as wrappers, and so full of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin-C, vitamin-K, and Calcium.
3 thoughts on sunflower seeds:
- Sprouting can multiply the nutritional value of the nutrients in sunflower seeds by 300 to 1,200 percent.
- Raw Organic Sunflower Seeds are rather inexpensive, compared to nuts.
- All seeds are highly concentrated foods, and sunflower seeds are one of the best in terms of its nutritional value. Read all about them at livestrong.
3 cups sprouted Sunflower Seeds
1 cup fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
¼ cup chopped Scallions
¼ cup Raw Tahini
¼ cup Tamari
1 large bunch of Cilantro
1 clove Garlic
1 teaspoon Raw Honey
- Place 3 cups of Sunflower Seeds in a bowl and cover with water.
- Leave for 8 hours. (You may have to add some more water after a few hours.)
- Drain and rinse seeds and place in a strainer for about 2 hours.
- You will see the seeds get a very small “tail” like the seeds in the spoon
- Pace all ingredients in high speed blender and mix.
- I use my Vitamix with the plunger, as it is a very thick dip. If you do not have a Vitamix, I would recommend a food processor for this recipe.
- In a high-speed blender, this dip is warm when just made.
- If you are someone who does not like cilantro, basil would be a nice alternative.
- This dip lasts about 5 days in the fridge, and the onion and garlic tend to get stronger with time.
- Soaking seeds and nuts is easy once it becomes habit! Promise!