On this episode of the Plan Simple Meals Podcast, I’m really excited to talk with Dr. Mindy Pelz, a chiropractor and founder of one of the largest natural wellness clinics in the San Francisco Bay Area. She’s the author of The Reset Factor and founder of the Resetter Tribe. Her interest in the power of food stems from getting diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in college and healing herself with diet changes.
We talked about the ketogenic diet, which you may have been hearing about. I had some misconceptions about that Dr. Mindy cleared up. She describes it like this: Keep your carbohydrates low, down, under 50 grams and keep your protein under 50 grams. Really what you rely on is more fat. When you cut back on carbs and bring in more fats like avocados, nut butters, and butter, it forces the liver to secrete more ketones. Your brain thrives on this, you are less hungry, and your mind gets really clear.
The other part of the ketogenic diet is fasting. When you go 13–15 hours without eating, you cells start to detox and repair themselves. For Dr. Mindy, that looks like stopping eating at 8 PM, having coffee with a little butter in the morning and then not eating until about noon or 1. Coffee, water, and tea work here because they doesn’t raise your blood sugar.
We talk about:
- Net carbs and how to figure out how much you are eating (including the hand tool Carb Manager)
- What fasting looks like for her and how she recommends you should start
- What her ketogenic meals actually look like
- Training your body to be a fat burner, not a sugar burner
- Teaching your kids what nutrition looks like
- Rushing Woman’s Syndrome and learning to calm ourselves down
Really believe in yourself. When it comes to health, don’t give your power away. – Dr. Mindy Pelz
Dr. Mindy Pelz D.C, Founder of Reset Factor, is crazy passionate about helping families stay healthy. For the past 20 years, she has been in the health trenches with busy Silicon Valley families. Her focus is on giving families the tools to reset their body’s microbiome, detoxifying heavy metals, improving brain function, strengthening immunity, balancing hormones, and creating health plans that have all members of the family thriving.
Doable Changes from this episode:
- KNOW YOUR CARB INTAKE. Start by simply measuring your food and plugging it into Carb Manager. This doable change is about awareness. Just get used to measuring and tracking. Making adjustments can be your next step.
- TRY A 13-HOUR FAST. See what happens if you stop eating at in the late evening and don’t eat again for 13 hours. You can have water, tea, or coffee in the morning, but don’t eat breakfast until later. For breakfast get some fat—egg, avocado, nuts. Experiment and see how it feels. Love this vegan keto list too.
- SLOW DOWN. When we are always rushing, our cortisol levels go up, which leads to hormonal issues. Focus on slowing down. Schedule yoga or mediation into your day. Block off an afternoon to check out—don’t work, say no to social invitations. Hang out with your family or take complete down time.